Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros Brighten My Day

Today was the absolute perfect day to listen to The Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros on my hour drive home from work. The sun has been missing for two days. The air was almost cold enough to see my breath when I walked out of work this afternoon. The rain has been saturating everything for over 24 hours leaving gigantic puddles to navigate through. My wet shirt sticks to my leather as I quickly jump into the car and start the ignition. Then the CD player starts, I quickly skip forward, and everything seems better.



The album is filled with beautiful music and vocals. I usually listen to mostly electronic music but on days like today, it was perfect to unplug and dive into the roots of music composition. Throughout the album, I am reminded to Beirut due to the enormous ensamble. Where they differ is this Orchestra of sorts is rooted in a unique mix of blue-grass/folk/rock/fusion. I always get impatient and jump to Home (above) first. Every time I hear this song it makes me smile and think about the ones I love. There is not a better feeling to combat the cold of winter. Thoughts of home...

I found these two pieces of film on their myspace meant to be watched in a two part set. Another example of the complex sounds that make up Edwarde Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros "Desert Song" from benjamin kutsko on Vimeo.



Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros "KISSES OVER BABYLON" from Edward Sharpe on Vimeo.

No comments: