Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Moderat : The Perfect Marriage



Moderat is the love child between Sascha Ring (aka Apparat) and Gernot Bronsert and Sabastian Szary (aka Modeselektor). I discovered Apparat a few years ago and last year was exposed to Modeselektor when hearing their track with Radiohead front man Thom Yorke. That one track alone got me on a Modeselektor binge that force me to buy every album and EP I could get my hands on. You can only guess how excited I was when finding this gem of a album.
Back to the history: after recording their first EP for BPitch Control records in 2002, they broke up and went their separate ways. In the next 6 six years both groups would release multiple albums and countless EPs. In 2008 they back together to start recording their first full length album, “Moderat”, which released on April 20, 2009. A lot had changed but their fondness of dark, dirty, grimy electronic music had not changed.
I was not disappointed by what I heard. I know it sounds corny that the album would sound like a mix between the two artists but that is exactly what “Moderat” is. If you take the auditory sound-scapes of Apparat and mix in the brutally rough and chopped beats of Modeselektor, you have the mixings of great new band. Sprinkle in guest Vocalist and MC’s on selected tracks and now you have a true cross-over album marketable to the great unwashed. Don’t be surprised if you start hearing them in the media around you.












Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: