Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ninja Tune's Oddity: Fink



I have been listening to the Ninja Tune label for almost a decade now. For the past ten years there has only been one artist that has been signed as a singer/songwriter with no electronic instrumentation. There is one artist on the Ninja Tune Label that stands apart from the rest.

Fink began as an electronic producer but found his niche as a singer songwriter. His latest album, Sort of Revolution
icon isn't due until March 25th, 2009 but I have been lucky enough to be previewing it for a week now.

I have been blown away by what I have heard. He has incredibly soul full sound. I was comparing to a friend that had never heard of him as, "If Jack Johnson had Soul...". What I really like about Fink is the use of real organic sounds which is interesting because he started his career as an electronic producer. Beats produced by percussion on the guitar body isn't a new technique but Fink applies it perfectly throughout the album. The music is great, don't get me wrong, but the real star of the album is Fink's vocal ability. The decision to get out from behind the turntables and step out in front with a guitar and a microphone was a brilliant one. He has too unique of a voice and point of view to not continue this for the rest of his days creating music. I hope to be there for every step of the way. He has just found another new fan.





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: